Entry 4: Reflection


          Looking back on this course as a whole, I found that learning a second language in this course gave me a better understanding of how students acquire a second language and how it applies to their everyday life. Initially, I figured that with enough time and effort, learning a new language would be fairly easy. Now, I understand the struggles students endure and that simply providing resources does not suffice for a quality learning experience. This class will definitely impact my professional practice in that sense that I will be more conscious of what my students need in order to learn effectively and efficiently. I will make sure to incorporate strategies that are useful and assignments that are meaningful.
I found the learning about the linguistic environment to be the most interesting topic. Whether a student is working towards acquiring a second language or not, it is essential that they feel comfortable in their learning environment. Ortega states, “Knowing about the language benefits afforded by the environment is thus important for achieving a good understanding of how people learn additional languages” (Ortega, 2013, pg. 55). Like Ortega mentions, it is important to understand how your students learn in order to determine what they need in their environment. Ultimately, these factors will help the student comprehend and learn more efficiently.
I found that the vblog assignments offered a large variety of useful information, however, I also found it to be excessive. It goes without a doubt that the vblog is included in this course for the purpose of peer interaction and learning. However, at some point, I found that I was more concerned with meeting the detailed criteria and due dates of the vblog rather than ensuring I was actually comprehending the material. It was interesting to hear about other people’s experiences and how they apply their second language to their everyday lives and in the classroom, but it could have been done in a more simplistic outlet. I feel that the vblog demotivated me to learn about second language acquisition and how it can be implemented in my future classroom. Nonetheless, I did find the information to be interesting and useful. I believe that when I have my own classroom, having a better understanding of second language acquisition will give me an overall better sense of community. I believe that it will not only help me communicate better with my students, but also with their parents and family members.
I feel like the vblogs did help me improve my writing, as I had to be meticulous in the way I wrote. It was a great refresher for how to incorporate quotes in my writing and how to accurately reference them. In addition, it was great practice to have to interact with peers on a professional level and give quality feedback. This is definitely a skill I will continue to use throughout my professional career and I found this aspect of the course to be extremely helpful.

Comments

  1. Exemplary entry. I agree with many of your points and a couple are up for discussion. For example, what alternative do you propose? When you state "in a more simplistic outlet", what do you mean? Can you provide some precise examples of a way of doing in which we achieve a similar goal without students having excessive information? And what do you mean by excessive information? How did this and your classmates' vblogs provide you with excessive information? Please explain. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey, Melissa Gomez! I agree with what you said in Entry 4. I also feel like the blogs are excessive. Although I understand that interaction is very important to Second Language Acquisition, I feel as though if the assignments were to be implemented differently it would be much more meaningful.

    Next, I think that linguistic environment is a interesting topic. One of the things that I noticed Ortega mentioned was how it impacts L2 learning. She tells the story of Wes, who was unable to master grammar despite the “sufficient time and ideal environmental conditions” (Ortega, 2013, p55). I think it shows how a student can still struggle to attain L2 even with the right amount of time and conditions. It makes me think that there are some factors other than environment that effects how students learn L2. In conclusion, linguistic environment is important, but it is not the only factors that impact student’s SLA.
    Ortega, Lourdes. Second Language Acquisition. London: Routledge, 2013. Print.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Lam,
      I do think that there are other factors that come into play that affect how a student learns a second language or an additional language. One factor that comes to mind is attitude. "Attitudes towards the formal learning context have been shown to exert a
      lasting and important influence on motivation. In particular, positive
      attitudes towards the learning context as well as the L2 community and
      culture (developed through prior positive learning experiences) and current
      satisfaction with teachers and instruction can boost motivation
      considerably" (Ortega, 2013, p. 190).

      Delete
    2. Hi Ruth, thanks for replying to my comment. I can agree that attitude plays a major part into student’s acquisition of language. I think motivation ties in with attitude also. In particular, I believe that integrativeness affect students greatly. Ortega defines integrative reasons as “integrative reasons related to identification with the target culture and a genuine desire to become more like members of the L2 group” (Ortega, 2013, p 173). Students who want to assimilate to the environment around are more willing to learn, thus more willing to acquire another language.
      Ortega, Lourdes. Second Language Acquisition. London: Routledge, 2013. Print.

      Delete
    3. Lam,
      I definitely agree! I think there are numerous factors that contribute to an individual’s language learning experience. You mentioned linguistic environment, and I believe this is a topic that make a heavy impact. Ortega states, “Languages are almost always learned with and for others, and these others generate linguistic evidence, rich or poor, abundant or scarce, that surrounds learners” (Ortega, 2013, p 55). As educators it is important to provide students with an environment that gives them the opportunity to participate in authentic interactions in order to learn both, effectively and efficiently.

      Ortega, Lourdes. Second Language Acquisition. London: Routledge, 2013. Print.

      Delete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Melissa,

    First off, great reflection. As I was reading your reflection, I was quickly able to make a connection from paragraph two when you discussed about the linguistic environment. Throughout our courses we have taken in this student teaching program, we always hear about creating that sense of community and environment with our students. Making sure to create an environment that is nurturing and safe, in which will lead to a productive learning environment. Knowing that, as an educator, we need to be knowledge about the theory and content behind all the different kinds of languages our students may be using because that can also lead to a productive learning environment. I believe by taking this course of SLA, in which Ortega describes as the scholarly field of inquiry that investigates the human capacity to learn languages other than the first," it prepares us for that next step to help our ELL's succeed in their L2 (Ortega, 2013, p.1). That being said, it may be a lot having to know the theories and practices that help ELL's succeed in their L2. However, as an educator that is our duty to make sure we go the extra mile to provide the best resources for our English Language Learners and that starts with understanding the foundation of it all, Second Language Acquisition.

    Great Reflection,
    Priscilla Sambrano

    References:
    Ortega, Lourdes. Second Language Acquisition. London: Routledge, 2013. Print

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Priscilla,
      I like how you talked about how as future educators we must know about the different theories that are related to ELLs. I feel like if we know these then we will be able to help in many different ways. We must also know how to make accommodations for them in order for them to be successful in our classroom. As said in Ortega (2011), learning strategies are a preferred way of learning information and by using strategies you gain conscious mental and behavioral procedures that people use to enhance their thinking. (pg. 208). Once we know these things and how our students learn beest, we will be better equipped to help our ELLs in our classroom.

      Ortega, Lourdes. Second Language Acquisition. London: Routledge, 2011. Print.

      Delete
    2. Priscilla,
      I agree completely, as educators we should be more aware of SLA theories and content in order to effectively implement them in our classrooms for the benefit of our students. Ortega states, “Knowing about the language benefits afforded by the environment is thus important for achieving a good understanding of how people learn additional languages” (Ortega, 2013, p 55). Setting up a proper linguistic environment for our students will ultimately help us to better understand the way they learn.

      Ortega, Lourdes. Second Language Acquisition. London: Routledge, 2013. Print.

      Delete
  5. The building of a better sense of community within your classroom with the information gained form this class is a great use of what was learned. Ensuring that the environment in the classroom is positive and supportive of what the students are learning will provide as a great building tool of the students motivation. Through the contact with parents as well as with students would provide the students a supportive inter-group contact which “includes potential and actual contact as well as how those experiences are remembered as positive or negative by the learners” (Ortega, 2013, p172). Allowing students to learn from one another and build on interactions with positive experiences that will strengthen their own motivation to continue learning the subject.


    Ortega, Lourdes. Second Language Acquisition. London: Routledge, 2011. Print

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment